Postgraduate Initiative in Project Engineering
For pre-application to the Executive Certificate in Project Engineering ,, just fill in this application form and return it to
✉ PIPE Admissions
IX7102 Project Portfolio Engineering
How to assure the project is performed right.
- Specify and develop the critical skills to design assurance of project execution with allocated resources.
- Specify and develop the critical skills to organize conditions for project execution.
- Specify and develop the critical skills to define effective communication for project development and control.
- Review and analyse tools to engineer conformance of the project at the tactical level of project manager.
- Critically analyse, design and organize process to construct project baseline plan and performance measurement plan for the project.
- Evaluate communication for tactical control by project manager.
Total Learning time 200 hours:
- 36 hours contact time
- 164 hours independent study (team construction and real case analysis)
Students are expected to attend all lectures/seminars and actively engage with online learning resources.
Learning outcome IX7102-LO1 is assessed through:
- individual construction (1,000 words) of project baseline plan and performance measurement plan (25%),
- and individual critical analysis (1,000 words) of similar construction by someone else (25%).
Learning outcome IX7102-LO2 is assessed through:
- a group presentation (equivalent 1,000 words – 25 minutes presentation and 5 minutes Q&A) of project plan review (25%).
Learning outcome IX7102-LO3 is assessed through:
- reflective report (1,000 words) to analyse group presentation (by other groups): 25%.
IX7102-C1: Project feasibility
- Methodology for project feasibility analysed through case study: hospital renovation.
- Critical project feasibility review: communication and interpretation.
IX7102-C2: Project logic
- Professional practices for project logic analysed through case study: Ariane 4 flight campaigns.
- Analysis of relationships between work packages and intermediate deliverables. Diagramming methods.
- Presentations, labs and preparation of independent study of project baseline logic.
IX7102-C3: Project organisation
- Construction process of Role Table and OBS (Organisation Breakdown Structure).
- Critical review of analytical estimates for tasks and work packages.
- Presentations, labs and preparation of independent study of project analytical estimates.
IX7102-C4: Project structure
- Construction process of WBS (Work Breakdown Structure) for budget assignment, visibility and coordination: professional practices.
- Critical review of work package description in project baseline plan.
- Presentations, labs and preparation of independent study of project baseline structure.
IX7102-C5: Project schedule
- Construction process for project schedule using dedicated project scheduling software tools.
- Critical analysis of finish dates integration at data date to determine management action needed.
- Presentations, labs and preparation of independent study of project baseline schedule.
IX7102-C6: Task performance analysis
- Critical analysis of time and cost performance for a task versus technical metrics.
- Presentations, labs and preparation of independent study of task performance measurement.
- Methodology to relate various metrics during project execution: case study.
IX7102-C7: Project performance analysis
- Professional practices for periodic consolidation of performance status for all tasks.
- Critical analysis of deviations.
- Quality control to validate performance status: methodologies and critical review of quality standards.
- Presentations, labs and preparation of independent study of project performance measurement plan.
IX7102-C8: Project scope management
- Critical analysis of proposals for updated project plan: methodologies to reflect impact of a change request in the definition of the deliverable.
- Presentations and labs.